Hidden Home Dangers and Solutions

Home is the place where we relax, spend time with family and friends, and enjoy being ourselves in a safe and comforting space. However, that safe space can be dangerous if some warning signs and precautions are ignored. To address these hidden home dangers, here are easy solutions (think carbon monoxide detectors or crawl space renovations, like CleanSpace Crawl Space) that can ensure your home really is a safe and comfortable space for you and your family.

Mold
Mold is one of the most common home dangers because it is a natural substance that thrives in moist areas. If your home is not properly insulated, or is prone to leaks, mold can quickly grow and accumulate in inside areas that affect your home. Because some types of mold can be dangerous to your health, it is important to tackle mold growth immediately after detection and even invest in prevention methods. In areas like basements, attics, or crawl spaces, it can be beneficial to protect these spaces from accumulating or repetitive moisture. One way to do this is to install a vapor barrier like a CleanSpace Crawl Space encapsulation system to prevent the moisture that attracts dangerous molds.

Termites
Termites are dangerous to homes because they can lurk for months or years before detection, burrowing under foundation and behind walls. Because termites live in colonies with large numbers, they can quickly do serious damage to the foundation of your home if undetected or untreated. Warning signs to look for are small holes in the walls, or wood that is swelling or rotting. If you think you have termites, call an exterminator immediately to determine the best course of action. In terms of prevention, ask your inspectors to specifically keep an eye out for termites, or invest in solutions like CleanSpace Crawl Space to keep the bugs out of your home.

Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide, otherwise known as the Silent Killer, is an odorless and colorless gas that is toxic and can quickly kill if inhaled. The danger with carbon monoxide is that people often cannot recognize the presence of the gas or the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can lead to unconsciousness and death. Because it is so hard for humans to detect this gas, it is a wise idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector that is battery powered (or at least has a back-up battery in case of electrical outages) on every level of your home. Though most homes now have a detector, be sure to periodically check on the device to ensure it is working properly, and replace them when they expire.

Lisa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 + 3 =